Sunday, February 8, 2009

I'm Fine, I'm Safe, I'm Fine I'm Safe!

That's all I said over and over as my plane landed in the beautiful, massive Beijing Airport.  A structure that you have to take a subway to get to the adjacent building to get your luggage.  
I'm fine.  I'm safe.  
Last night I arrived to my small, but relatively perfect apartment in the Swiss Hotel.  It's not a lot, but it'll do just fine.  I arrived to an evening of fireworks - I hoped they were for me, but it was for a celebration of Chinese New Year - The year of the Ox.  As I write this, it is the last night of Chinese New Year, the Lantern celebration and there is fireworks in every one of my windows.  Not like the few we see during Splash, these have been going on for almost three hours now, and for miles and miles.  It's actually quite beautiful.  
Today was Day 1.  Most of my day was spent getting situated in the hotel.  It is beautiful, but has its flaws.  My team is lovely, and all the local outlet managers and supervisors are the most eager young people I have ever met.  I am excited to work with all of them.  Post breakfast, which was challenging to get through as my nerves had gotten the better of me, I started working on the cocktail/wine/liquor lists for the Champagne Bar and the Lobby Lounge - two amazing spaces.  Right now, I am proofing menus. 
For anyone who likes bars or design please look up the Lan Club in Beijing.  I went there for dinner tonight, and its amazing.  It's built on the 5th floor of a mall.  The whole fifth floor.  I felt like I was popped into an Alice and Wonderland trip.  It was a great place.  Now I am off to bed with my menus.  I'm going to try and sleep through all the fireworks.

No comments: